Male Breast Reduction
Gynecomastia is a swelling or enlargement of breast tissue in men. While common, it can cause embarrassment and issues with self-esteem. As a man with this condition, you may find yourself avoiding certain situations and clothing options that reveal your chest.
There’s no reason to let enlarged male breast tissue keep you from feeling like your best self. Gynecomastia surgery can safely and effectively flatten your chest for a more masculine appearance. Thanks to modern techniques, you can enjoy a near-immediate improvement with manageable downtime.
Learn how board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. David Robinson can restore your confidence through male breast reduction. Call 219-513-2100 today to schedule a complimentary cosmetic consultation at our Munster or Valparaiso office. Indiana Plastic Surgery serves men from Northwest Indiana and the surrounding areas.
What is Gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia is a condition that affects roughly 40-60% of men in the United States. It results in overdeveloped male breasts caused by hormone imbalances, genetics, weight changes and other factors. Some people refer to the condition as having “man boobs.”
Men with gynecomastia often have excess fat, glandular tissue and skin in one or both breasts. In severe cases, the weight of the breasts may result in sagging, as well as enlarged areolas. Often, diet and exercise do little to improve the appearance of the chest.
Enlarged male breast tissue can occur at any age. Sometimes, the condition resolves over time. If it doesn’t, surgery may be the ideal solution.
Candidates for Gynecomastia Surgery
If enlarged male breast tissue is causing you physical or emotional discomfort, gynecomastia surgery may be right for you. Good candidates for gynecomastia surgery:
- Are healthy
- Are at or near their ideal weight
- Are non-smokers
- Have sufficient breast skin elasticity
- Have reached a stable point of breast development
- Have realistic expectations
Sometimes, gynecomastia can be corrected by discontinuing certain medications or treating an underlying health issue. It’s a good idea to meet with your doctor to determine the cause of your gynecomastia and learn what is appropriate for your specific situation.
If you are interested in gynecomastia surgery, Dr. Robinson will meticulously evaluate your candidacy during an in-person consultation. This process involves discussing your relevant medical history and performing a physical examination.
Your Male Breast Reduction Procedure
Dr. Robinson generally performs gynecomastia surgery under general anesthesia. Based on your situation, he will use one of the following approaches:
- Liposuction: Liposuction techniques alone are generally recommended for dealing with excess fatty tissue. Dr. Robinson will remove fat cells from the breast using a small tube called a cannula. This method involves making small incisions, usually in inconspicuous areas.
- Excision: An excision approach may be appropriate to remove glandular breast tissue or excess skin. This method is also used to correct nipple size and position. The pattern that Dr. Robinson chooses to use will depend on the degree of your gynecomastia, though he makes every effort to conceal the marks.
- Combination liposuction and excision: For patients dealing with excess fat and glandular tissue, a combined approach is often the best bet. With this method, Dr. Robinson will employ both liposuction and excision to give you the contoured chest you desire.
Gynecomastia Surgery Recovery and Results
You may experience some discomfort after your surgery that can be managed with prescribed or over-the-counter pain medications. Though every patient is unique, most are able to return to work within a few days to a week. Dr. Robinson will give you care guidelines and activity restrictions to follow during this time.
Despite post-surgical swelling and bruising, you should notice an immediate improvement in the appearance of your chest after gynecomastia surgery. As long as you maintain a healthy lifestyle, your results should be long-lasting.
Schedule Your Munster or Valparaiso Gynecomastia Surgery Consultation
Gynecomastia surgery can be life-changing. Learn if this procedure is right for you by scheduling a complimentary cosmetic consultation with Dr. Robinson at 219-513-2100. Men from Northwest Indiana and the surrounding areas are welcome at Indiana Plastic Surgery.